Saturday, May 18, 2019

Living amongst the Bears

The Raptors had a disappointing loss last night.  The kids scattered in distraught silence.  Hopefully, the game back home on Sunday will set things right.  I kept nodding off in exhaustion and frustration.

I recently read a book by Charlie Russell and Maureen Enns called Grizzly Heart; Living without Fear Among the Brown Bears of Kamchatka.  I read it in January, in the midst of packing up my home of 14 years to move in with N and his two boys.  The book was incredibly inspiring and provided me with a mental escape as I wrestled with all the emotions that this change would mean for my kids and I.  I always find the books I read mark a passage in my own life. 

The title is pretty explanatory.  Charlie and his partner, artist Maureen Enns, travel to Siberia.  They adopt three cubs from a zoo and hand raise them in Siberia. Their intention is to raise the cubs to adulthood.  And when I say hand raise the cubs, I am being literal. They hand feed them, they play wrestle with the cubs,  hike and swim with them. The bears see them as their parents. The plan is always to raise the cubs to be independent and be reintroduced into the wild. In the mean time, a bond of trust and love develops between the bears and Charlie and Maureen that is touching to observe. 

It's a beautiful story, providing the reader with fascinating insight into Grizzlies and how they can peacefully live amongst humans.  On a more subtle level, it's the story of two people who follow their passion to live a life crafted carefully by themselves.  They embrace the danger and adventure of raising these cubs with  a commitment and dedication that I found humbling.  Living in the wilderness of Siberia, in Grizzly country, is not for the faint of heart.  As opposed to seeking out austerity for the sake of it they choose to live in austerity while supporting the environment and embracing non consumerism and minimalism.  They didn't aspire to the status quo and what struck me throughout the book was their commitment to something beyond themselves.  To helping vulnerable and victimised animals.  That is a deliberate and authentic life.  Charlie Russell has since passed and Maureen Enns is a celebrated Canadian artist. Her sculptures are world renowned.  This was a good story and one I will continue to revisit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment