Friday, August 30, 2019

Struggle often leads to change

This week I received 7 back issues of the magazine New Escapologist.  As I've mentioned before I am a big fan of the blog new escapologist.  I ordered Robert Wringham's book which N is currently reading.  We think of it as a bit of a manual on how to live our lives.  The magazines are beautifully designed and arrived in a box, each glossy magazine wrapped individually in plastic.  It was such a treat to come home to. As I flipped through the magazines and read articles written by people whose lives are shaped by life choices that allow for so much freedom I am in awe.  They have turned their backs on consumerism, embraced minimalism and are practicing self-examination with the goal to develop and live authentic lives.  Wringham wrote that one should look at work as a "caper".  Work for 3-6 months and  quit,  take a break and work on a personal project.  Then rinse and repeat.

Gradually I am wrapping my head around all these concepts. I have concerns.  One red flag is that I do believe work ultimately provides intrinsic satisfaction and purpose.  Even the kind done in cubicles.  I understand that autonomy does not equate loafing around and playing video games. I understand that escapologists work all the time.  They have passions they pursue.  I, on the other hand, may end up donning sweats, piling up books on my coffee table and lose all sense of time while producing nothing.  I may just lose myself to to a life of hedonism.  I wonder if I have the self discipline to pursue passions?  I think I would be productive.  I think I would work on my own creative endeavors, this blog and perhaps attend university.  I think I would live a fuller life.

My second misgiving is that I am trapped by consumerism.  I am a product of my environment.  I don't love minimalism.  I am surrounded by my large collection of books and carefully selected art. A home that is filled with our life of consumerism.  We've worked hard to create this life and it takes a fair amount of resources to maintain our home and the children who share it with us.  I am less and less interested in what money can buy but I am well aware of how money can provide comfort.  I am not interested in frugality as an "ideal".  However, I don't want my stuff to trap me so it's a bit of a quandary. 

Suffice it to day I am gradually embracing the concept of escapology.  I truly believe that wage slavery is a form on indentured servitude and that corporations are merciless.  Work is not conducive to a life of unconventionality and adventure.  There are two trains of thought as far as I have observed.  Your either accept professional mediocrity and resign yourself to a life dictated by wage slavery.  This would be your pink ghetto employees, your middle management and clerks.  Or you work towards achieving power which often comes with far more flexibility yet demands a lot of sacrifice which few people are willing to make.  As well, those who have achieved a level of corporate mastery thrive on the competition and power games that are the politics of corporate dominance. 

 Idealism, escaping it all is intoxicating if the circumstances are in line with your life.  Ultimately the possibilities for how you want to live your life are endless.  If you have the foresight, the confidence and the freedom from responsibility to make radical choices then you are playing the game of life well.  If you can avoid wage slavery and pursue your passions with complete autonomy I think you are already successful.  I think the one caveat is that happiness is different for everyone.  What appeals to me today may change tomorrow. At this stage in my life escapology's advice to take a break is quite appealing.  I like working but I'd like to have more control over my time and have more flexibility.  I will keep reading, keep thinking and order the entire catalog of magazines.  I love how escapology makes me feel like I have choices.  That I'm not alone in my skepticism of conformity.  My biggest fear is that I am taking the path of least resistance out of fear.  That I am lacking in imagination.  Clearly I am struggling and that is good.  It means I am ready for a change and maybe ready to start taking some risks.  I don't want to miss out on anything while I wilt away under the fluorescent lighting and peek out over my cubicle wall at the slice of blue sky I can see through the window.    

No comments:

Post a Comment