Monday, July 8, 2019

Leonard's gone and I am bitter 

I had a fantastic weekend.  N and I were on our own (meaning no kids) and we were able to do some cooking that didn't have to cater to the erratic taste buds of teens.  One won't eat red meat, a couple aren't keen on seafood and we may dine a bit later when unfettered by younger and hungrier growing bodies. We hit the St. Lawrence market and got fresh seafood, we made a stir fry with all kinds of fresh veggies and shrimp.  Last night we ended up at a friend's house where he deep fried halibut in cornflakes. It was a hazy, lazy summer weekend.

Saturday morning I woke up to the disappointing news that Kawhi Leonard is gone.  It hit me with such a jolt and I was so upset.  I guess the right thing for me to say is I am grateful he got us the ring and we were lucky to have him for a year.  That's what my son would say or has said...and it's the right thing to say.  But he is a much nicer person than me.  This tremendously talented athlete brought our team to the championship and it was such an exciting season.  However, this is what I really feel;  I was very upset and angry. He could have given  us one more year.  We would have lavished him with adoration and love.  One more year would have allowed us to build the team up, attract some more talent and hold us in good stead.

I am bitter about his decision.  I won't watch Clipper games for a long time.  I will view Leonard differently now and I won't enjoy watching him anymore.  It's like my hero let me down. I am sure this is not the party line but I take life personally.  I thought he was wonderful and I fell in love with him.  I fully understand that Leonard needs to do what's best for Leonard and yes the Clippers got him Paul George. I just hate the fact that the Raptors had their glory days this early in the run.  It drives me crazy that the US will be smugly satisfied this season.  Who knows, maybe another superstar will come our way and brave the north.  Until then, I am so relieved I got the Lowry shirt.  Come October I will wear it with pride.

I happened to be catching up on the Saturday globe this weekend and caught this superbly insightful article on the Raptors.  Check it out, from the perspective of a Warrior's fan.  Eventually my heart will mend and I will be able to be a little bit more objective but I will miss him.  Go raptors go!!

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/article-joy-pain-and-basketball-i-love-the-warriors-but-my-country-loves/

No comments:

Post a Comment