Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Why I don't like Neoliberalism  

That was a disappointing loss last night.  Fantastic game and to be honest I felt rotten for Durant.  He is a phenomenal athlete and I don't think he should have been out there.  I'm holding out for Thursday, I predict we win game 6 in Golden State's house.

I am struggling with a particular disinterest these days that touches on what I've been discussing in previous entries.  I am no longer driven by that which used to drive me before and I am frustrated by my own apathy.  I used to want so much.  Now I just want to stop.  I used to need so much more to be satisfied and now I need so little.  I am treading water, waiting for the right moment to make some changes.  I think it's because my perspective has shifted.  I no longer value the status quo.  I have read so much about capitalism and social inequality that I question the morality of corporations.

It's funny how your life changes when your perspective shifts. All of a sudden you hate shopping malls ( a huge gathering location for Canadians), Christmas seems like an assault to the senses and you wonder why you have 20 pairs of shoes. Name brands seem gaudy and you start to think Whole Foods is corrupt.  I am being a bit melodramatic but I genuinely want something different.  I am seeking authenticity in a very generic world where everything has a price tag.  The more you understand what drives the economy the harder it is to sustain the lifestyle that I want.  So what do I mean when I talk about the economy? Let's take a look at a market trend driven by neo conservatives.

Neolibieralism was a driving force in the economical shift that completely transformed the economy during the last 40 years.  Neoliberalism tends to favour  free market capitalism.  In other words, less government regulations.  Government, ostensibly, is meant to represent the citizen's interest which means it play a role in ensuring the economy is benefiting the citizens of the country.  Government regulation is how the Canadian economy is structured and as a result we have a very stable economy.  We are similar to Scandinavian countries. Under Prime Minister Stephen Harper, things got a little weird in Canada.  He wanted the citizen to be the consumer as would a corporation and supported corporate agendas at the expense of social welfare. This can erode democracy because the country is not a corporation.

I've read a lot and week by week, month by month I've learned how corporations have been eroding society.  There is a complete lack of ethics in the neoliberal model.  I struggle with this because I can't reconcile my values with the monopolization of the corporate agenda in the west. Knowledge is power and it will set you free.  The problem is freedom means you have to make choices.  And once you understand the problem you start wanting to be part of the solution.  So that means figuring out more ethical ways to live your life.  And they don't involve fancy cars, disposable products or mindless tv.  I try to stay informed and question everything.  So far so good.  There is light at the end of the tunnel.  We just have to figure out how to get to the light. 

No comments:

Post a Comment