Thursday, May 16, 2019

Shameless

The Raptors lost last night.  Disappointing but only by 8 points.  We can come back.

The paradox of the grind vs chasing the carrot at the end of the stick is one I wrestle with daily.  Money and quality of life are huge motivators.  An example of this paradox is the show Shameless.  Poverty, addiction and abuse are difficult to overcome.  The cycle of poverty leads to instability and lack of options.  Lack of options traps one in a life of grinding disillusionment and dead end jobs.  For those of us that had the privilege of access to higher education, who have been raised in the warm bosom of gentrification we have been able to make choices.  Those choices have allowed us to reject standard norms.  Minimalism points to having enough stuff to do without and still be okay. Education allows one to pursue a life that isn't reliant on a weekly pay cheque.

I've carefully orchestrated my life to have choices.  I had my kids when I was in my 20s.  I bought real estate at a young age.  I followed my gut.  I'm the first to say I will walk away from conventionality and I will live life on my terms.  I think the corporate world is stultifying.  However, there is a lot to consider when a life of entitlement has been your reality. 

Back to Shameless.  Check it out, there are 9 seasons.  Then ask yourself is chaos and anarchy the right path?  I'm not sure what I think.  The one sure conclusion I've drawn is that intelligence is a handicap. It forces you to question. 

No comments:

Post a Comment