Friday, May 31, 2019

Tennis and insecurity

The Raptors won last night.  I am still holding my breath.  Let's see what happens Sunday.  It was such a fun game to watch.  I started to think I should get a Siakam jersey but I'm sticking with Lowry.

Recently I read Andre Agassi's autobiography Open.  I have not read many sport biographies but this one was fantastic.  Agassi is decisive, loyal and disciplined.  The game drives him but clearly his motivation is the fierce need to compete and  conquer that ultimately pushes him to win.  This doesn't stop with tennis, this is clear in every facet of his life.  I've noticed this is a common theme that particularly accomplished people seem to all have in common.  Whether they are athletes, actors, writers or cultural icons (think Steve Jobs) they all manifest incredible insecurity combined with incredible self discipline.  It's almost like they can't stop until they get wherever they need to go.  It's inspiring and Agassi doesn't disappoint.  I would say he is more self-aware than most, he seems to manage his emotions and hold his own counsel.  Although there are some self-destructive tendencies, for the most part, he has a pretty good head on his shoulders. Put it this way I grew to really like the guy as the book progressed.  I didn't like Steve Jobs by the time I finished his biography.

Another interesting aspect of iconic people is that they often turn to philanthropy.  Agassi is no exception.  He established a charter school in 2001 in west Las Vegas.  I found it hard not to be impressed. While married to Brooke Shields he traveled to Africa and met Nelson Mandela (because that's what superstars do) and had an epiphany.  He figured out that giving back is bigger than him, the larger purpose he could never figure out.  That's nice when you're 27 years old.  Ha!  Nonetheless, I was duly impressed and  it  reminded me that I do need to read Mandela's autobiography; Long Walk to Freedom.  I am starting to think the best way to get out of your own head is to focus on something that's not about you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment