Friday, June 21, 2019

Escape Everything! continues to provoke 

I am still working my way through Robert Wrinham's book; Escape Everything!.  The book is having a tremendous impact on me and I am trying to figure out how I feel about the philosophy he espouses.  What I am learning is that he is against consumerism and the capitalist model.  He encourages minimalism, avoiding subscriptions that keep you on a monthly payment plan and to keep bureaucratic administration to a minimum.  Basically, anything that can hamper mobility is to be avoided.  I like the concept.

I am trying to figure out how to start moving toward a less structured life, one that is geared less towards consumerism and more about flow and being in the moment.  I want more time and less stuff. I have a lot of trouble with decadent consumerism.  My kids are moving quickly towards adulthood and I want to experience life as opposed to watching it on my couch via screens.  Wringham is a proponent of renting vs. owning, arguing that you can travel more easily and live in different countries if you are not tied down by property.  (He skips regularly between Canada and Scotland).  This where I get skeptical or perhaps where I am going to play devil's advocate for now.  I am always allowed to change my mind.

Wrigham has no children and he has never owned a home.  I, on the other hand, have been a home owner for 15 years and raised my children in the secure bosom of a cozy neighborhood.  I have also done well financially as a result. I have reaped the rewards of capitalism.  Another point I would like to make is that as a woman, financial independence is a priority.  It provides my children and I protection in a pretty unpredictable world. I think an economy of consumerism is morally objectionable.  I agree that capitalism feeds off the bottom to reward the top.  I certainly see the inequities in the system.  However, I am always suspicious of doctrines.  For example, the cult of minimalism has made a lot of people very rich at the expense of said bottom feeders. I love books and own hundreds of them.   They provide me with tremendous comfort and I do go back to them again and again.  I don't want to go to the library , it's impractical for my life. There are time limits on borrowing books.  I may not want to read that book within the prescribed 3 weeks.  As a voracious reader, I have always struggled with the inherent restrictions that libraries impose.  Minimalism is not going to make me happy.

Another thought that struck me was that working is not all bad.  Some people love what they do and are providing a necessary service to their community.  Doctors, nurses, police, teachers and academics.  Social Workers.  Occupational therapists.  These people are working with each and every one of us to provide support and necessary services.  They've worked incredibly hard to become professionals and contribute their skills to help other people.  I have tremendous respect for their self discipline and accomplishments.  I think that if I had thought things through a little more I would have loved social work.  Helping vulnerable people would have fulfilled me and it has nothing to do with money or rampant consumerism.  Work can provide social connections, a sense of belonging and provide people with a sense of achievement. I think we have to be careful painting society with one brush or simplifying complex social structures.

I don't want to spend my life in a cubicle.  However, I think there is value in setting down roots, having children and raising them in homes.  I think work can provide tremendous personal satisfaction and the economy defines a community.  What is important is to find the middle ground.  (Oh what a Canadian I am!) The middle ground protects the vulnerable.  Social constructs are necessary for people to coexist in societies.

Eventually, I will be able to be more adventurous and less tied down by external responsibilities. However, I can't, no I won't simplify economical theories to rationalize a fringe existence.  I think I will take a more measured approach and thoroughly educate myself. I will reflect on what works for me.  I do have some choices to make in the next few years and I am leaning towards less is more.  I truly believe happiness is about being in the moment, not trying to get to the next place.  Wrinham's book and blog are though provoking and offer sound advice.  I am always open to people who question the status quo.  Enough said.  I just ordered 3 new books so I will be busy dissecting.  My plan is to spend a good portion of this weekend reading.  Happy Friday!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment